Build Your Own Boxed Cushion!
Learn how to build your own zippered cushions for dining chairs, sofas, outdoor furniture and more!
This 8-hour workshop is split into two sessions:
1. Intro Videos & Handouts:
Scheduled 2 weeks prior to the 6-hour sewing session. Choose your own cushion project – either an existing cushion or your desired measurements for building a new cushion from scratch. Learn how to measure and calculate how much fabric & foam to buy for your project. You will take home a customized fabric layout chart for your project to assist you with the homework of purchasing and pre-cutting your fabric in preparation for the second session. (scheduled 2 weeks later). Requirement: Bring a single cushion to re-cover or rebuild OR exact measurements of the new cushion you would like to build from scratch. (For the March 2020 class, the prep class will be replaced by access to instructional videos that you can watch at home, supported by a scheduled Q&A with Carla via Zoom video call)
As soon as your registration is complete, you’ll receive a link to view & download a series of videos & handouts, including:
- Class overview – what to expect when you bring your project for the 1-day workshop.
- Worksheets + Guides to help you get started.
- How to measure and calculate how much fabric to buy for your project.
• (optional) Zoom video meet-up for Q&A:
Two weeks prior to to the weekend workshop, you’ll have a chance to meet your fellow students via zoom video, share your project and get your questions answered.
1. Purchase fabric, new foam (if needed), machine needles & thread
2. Cut out fabric for one cushion to sew together in the 6-hour session
2. 6-hour Sewing Session: Participants are required to bring your own sewing machine along with your pre-cut fabric and materials, ready to dive in and start sewing! We will walk through the steps of sewing a zipper, boxing and final cushion assembly. Note: welted cushions may take longer than the class allows, but you will learn everything you need to complete your project at home. Requirement: Bring your sewing machine (in good working order) – you must be proficient in sewing on your machine.
What you will learn:
This is a hands-on workshop with upholstery instructor Carla Pyle. You will learn how to build a boxed zippered cushion, including fabric layout & cutting, sewing seams, installing a zipper, and professional tips & tricks of the trade in a fun and supportive atmosphere.
- professional tips & tricks related to each student’s project throughout the workshop
- charts and step-by-step handouts that will provide a valuable reference for sewing your own cushions at home
- student discount on all materials available through our studio, including fabric & foam
- your old cushion or new cushion measurements
- fabric & optional foam – amount to purchase is determined in the Prep Class
Boxed Cushion Workshop Schedule: Mar 2020, TBD
If you can answer ‘Yes’ to any of the following…
- Have you been looking for clear & easy start-to-finish instructions for sewing boxed & corded cushions, but haven’t been able to find it all in one place?
- Are you looking for tips on how to use sustainable, organic and non-toxic materials in your cushion project, and where to buy those materials?
…then this class may be just what you’re looking for.
What the class includes:
- Handouts, including handy charts and done-for-you formulas for measuring fabric yardage, layout & cutting
- Learn how to use sustainable & organic materials in your cushion project
What students are saying about other classes with Carla:
Before taking this class, I was unsure how to measure my project to figure out how much fabric I needed. Carla’s worksheets provided a handy outline for how to measure and lay out my fabric to be sure I didn’t over-buy. This class also clarified for me how to make and sew cording into my cushion-top ottoman. I am more confident about tackling my next project and meanwhile enjoying the fruits of my labor!
– Lill Erickson, Livingston, MT
Before taking Carla’s workshop, I felt uncertain of my ability to do a good job on a big cushion seat project. During the class, I was able to create a piece I am proud of! I came away with a professional looking (by me!) booth seat for my vintage camper. I feel empowered, confident and anxious to complete the next seat so I can enjoy entertaining in style in my ‘new’ camper.
– Cathy Johnson, Livingston, MT
Scenes from a previous Boxed Cushion Class.
Questions? Contact Carla.
Join NaturalUpholstery.com’s mailing list to receive our monthly newsletter with reupholstery tips, creative inspiration, and resources for using natural, non-toxic materials for upholstery.