Consultation Services for your Natural Upholstery Project
Is Natural Upholstery’s Consulting Service for You?
Hi, I’m Carla Pyle, owner & creative director here at Natural Upholstery. I’ve been using natural & organic materials in upholstery projects for over twelve years, and I’ve learned a few time- and money-saving techniques along the way.
Whether you’re a maker, professional upholsterer, designer, or hiring a pro to do the work for you, I’m here to help you navigate the process of incorporating natural materials into your upholstery project from start to finish.
How it Works:
- First of all, if you’re keen to do the calculations all on your own, you can find the tools to do so here, including videos, tutorials & worksheets.
- If math is not your thing, or you just don’t have time to do those calculations, you can hire me to work with you or your team on any project – large or small (P.S. You’ll discover there’s much more to it than just math, once we get into it!)
What to Expect:
- I will guide you step by step through the process to choose the right materials to use for each part of your project (eg. cushion, chair, daybed, etc).
- Once you choose your materials and provide a detailed list of measurements for each unit (a handy form will be provided for your convenience), I will calculate the amount of each material you’ll need to purchase for the entire project.
- You’ll end up with an itemized shopping list, with the assurance that you’ll be optimizing your budget by minimizing waste for each material.
- If you decide to purchase your materials through my sources, I will provide a detailed price quote for your approval.
- If you’re purchasing materials through other sources, you’ll have everything you need to place your order with your chosen retailer.
How I Work with You:
Communication and Courtesy: I communicate openly & often. I respect your time & I listen to your individual concerns and needs. For local projects (in the southwest Montana area), arrangements can be made for a personal visit to your location once your project is in the queue.
Explanation of Materials: I will help you evaluate & choose the best materials available for each for each part of your project. If needed, I can offer customized recommendations for accommodating the needs of chemically sensitive individuals.
If you’re hiring an upholsterer or workroom: Every project is unique and every upholsterer brings their unique methods to the process, so I always specify materials based on the methods and judgement of the person who is doing the work. For this reason, I am unable to calculate your materials based on a photo or rough diagram. If you or members of your team need help making sense of trade methods and language, I am happy to facilitate communication with your upholsterer by:
- Providing you with a form (with questions and specs) for them to fill out and return to me, and/or
- Communicating directly with them with your permission and their agreement.
These steps will serve to help keep your project on track and achieve the end result you expect.
Cut-Map for each specified material: You’ll receive an easy to follow cutting map for each material – whether you’re doing the work yourself or taking it to your upholsterer. Cut-maps are customized to your project, and are optimized to make the most economical use of each material across the entire project, whether it’s a single or multi-unit project.
The most cost-effective solution for your needs: Orders large enough to warrant bulk purchasing will receive discounted pricing. If you prefer to source the materials yourself, I will provide a list of retail sources, and leave the comparison shopping up to you.
Good-Better-Best Comparison: You’ll receive guidance to make the best choices to fit your budget.
- Best – what does an ‘all natural’ project look like, and what are the advantages.
- Better – where is the happy medium that may utilize some natural & some synthetic materials while optimizing health & wellness considerations.
- Good – which synthetic materials are least harmful to your health and the environment.
What is the Cost?
- The charge for consulting services related to your natural upholstery project is $60 for the first hour, and $45/hour thereafter.
- Check out some cost examples from previous projects.
Steps in the Process
Step One: Submit a Brief Summary of Your Project
Submit a brief summary of your project through our Project Summary Form.
Step Two: Schedule a 20 minute meeting with Carla
Schedule a complimentary 20 minute meeting time on Carla’s Calendar.
- Book a meeting with Carla to take place via video or phone. Note: video allows me to share visual examples related to your specific questions.
- I will answer questions about your project and how I work.
- We’ll discuss your time frame to make sure our schedules mesh.
- We’ll decide together if this is a good fit for us to work together.
- There is No Charge for this initial meeting. If additional services are agreed upon by both parties, I will take your credit card information over the phone before proceeding to the next step.
Step Three: Once we agree to work together
Once your initial minimum payment is made, you’ll receive a link to our Project Details Form (similar to the Project Summary Form), where you’ll be guided to submit a full description for each individual piece of your project.
Ready to Get Started?