Consultation Services for your Natural Upholstery Project
Is Natural Upholstery’s Consulting Service for You?
Hi, I’m Carla Pyle, owner & CEO here at Natural Upholstery. I’ve been using natural & organic materials in upholstery projects for over twelve years, and I’ve learned a few time- and money-saving techniques along the way.
Whether you’re a maker, professional upholsterer, designer, or hiring a pro to do the work for you, I’m here to help you navigate the process of incorporating natural materials into your upholstery project from start to finish.
How it Works:
- First of all, if you’re keen to do the calculations all on your own, you can find the tools to do so here, including videos, tutorials & worksheets.
- If math is not your thing, or you just don’t have time to do those calculations, you can hire me to work with you or your team on any project – large or small (P.S. You’ll discover there’s much more to it than just math, once we get into it!)
What to Expect:
- I will guide you step by step through the process to choose the right materials to use for each part of your project (eg. cushion, chair, daybed, etc).
- Once you choose your materials and provide a detailed list of measurements for each unit (a handy form will be provided for your convenience), I will calculate the amount of each material you’ll need to purchase for the entire project.
- You’ll end up with an itemized shopping list, with the assurance that you’ll be optimizing your budget by minimizing waste for each material.
- You’ll have everything you need to place your order with your chosen supplier(s).
How I Work with You:
Communication and Courtesy: I communicate openly & often. I respect your time & I listen to your individual concerns and needs. For local projects (in the southwest Montana area), arrangements can be made for a personal visit to your location once your project is in the queue.
Explanation of Materials: I will help you evaluate & choose the best materials available for each part of your project. If needed, I can offer customized recommendations for accommodating the needs of chemically sensitive individuals.
If you’re hiring an upholsterer or workroom: Every project is unique and every upholsterer brings their unique methods to the process, so I always specify materials based on the methods and judgement of the person who is doing the work. For this reason, I am unable to calculate your materials based on a photo or rough diagram. If you or members of your team need help making sense of trade methods and language, I am happy to facilitate communication with your upholsterer by:
- Providing you with a form (with questions and specs) for them to fill out and return to me, and/or
- Communicating directly with them with your permission and their agreement.
These steps will serve to help keep your project on track and achieve the end result you expect.
Cut-Map for each specified material: You’ll receive an easy to follow cutting map for wool batting, and latex foam (if cutting from bulk sizes is indicated). This will avoid cutting waste whether you’re doing the work yourself or taking it to your upholsterer. Cut-maps are customized to your project, and are optimized to make the most economical use of each material across the entire project, whether it’s a single or multi-unit project.
The most cost-effective solution for your needs: Projects large enough to warrant bulk purchasing may receive discounted pricing with a supplier. I will provide recommendations for materials sources, and leave the comparison shopping up to you.
Good-Better-Best Comparison: You’ll receive guidance to make the best choices to fit your budget.
- Best – what does an ‘all natural’ project look like, and what are the advantages.
- Better – where is the happy medium that may utilize some natural & some synthetic materials while optimizing health & wellness considerations.
- Good – which synthetic materials are least harmful to your health and the environment.
What is the Cost?
- The charge for consulting services related to your natural upholstery project is $70 per 40-minute session.
- Check out some cost of materials examples from previous projects.
Steps in the Process
Step One: Sign up for a one-hour Consultation
Sign up for your 40-minute, one-on-one consultation with Carla here.
Step Two: Receive an email response from Carla
Once payment is received, I will respond via email within two business days, requesting photos of your project and providing a Calendar link to schedule your consultation.
Step Three: Meet with Carla
Meet with Carla on the date and time you have scheduled. Once that meeting is complete, you’ll receive a follow-up email with a summary of our meeting, links to resources, and next steps.
Questions? Submit a brief (2-minute) summary of your project through our Project Summary Form, and include any questions you have about the process.