Healthy Non-Toxic Materials for Upholstery
Are you looking to buy safe, healthy natural materials for your upholstery project? This includes latex foam, wool batting, cotton batting, and various other natural fibers and fabrics – many with GOTS, GOLS or OekoTex certifications.
Evolution of Natural Upholstery
I’ve been sourcing ‘natural upholstery’ materials for over 12 years. Sourcing natural materials for use in upholstery is still a challenge, with supply chain disruptions arising during the covid shutdowns, and continuing into recovery.
My intention has always been to help upholstery professionals, designers, and DIYers understand the ins & outs of working with these materials in a wide range of upholstery projects, so I’m happy to share what I know to help you source healthy materials.
DIY Natural Bedding
Deborah Brenton has been selling natural & organic non-toxic materials for DIY bedding since 2011. I have been corresponding with her about upholstery materials since 2016. From the very beginning of our association, I was struck by Deborah’s upbeat and friendly approach. Over the years we have developed a trust that stems from a goal we both share – to help people learn about using natural & organic materials, and to help them source healthy materials for their projects.
Please note: Below are affiliate links, which means I will receive a small compensation from the vendor – at no additional cost to you – if you decide to purchase the item at that link. This helps fund Natural Upholstery’s continued operation as an ad-free educational resource, and also helps DIY Natural Bedding continue to improve their services to the upholstery trade. We appreciate your support!
- Wool Batting produced in the USA – Sold by the yard (88″ wide), 1.8 lbs/linear yard with thin spun backing – use as a cushion wrap (requires ticking fabric when used under a woven cover fabric)
- Kapok Fiber – harvested from the seed pods of Ceiba trees growing in rain forest latitudes. Sold by the pound – for stuffing cushions or pillows.
- GOTS Certified Organic Cotton Sateen Fabric – a lightweight fabric with a tight enough weave for use as a ticking fabric to prevent wool fibers from migrating through to the surface of your outer fabric.
- GOTS Certified Organic Cotton Twill Fabric – a heavier twill weave with a tight enough weave for use as a ticking fabric, and ideal as a decking fabric.
- Wooly Bolas – produced in the USA – for stuffing cushions or pillows.
- Wool Felt – use in areas where light padding with minimal loft is called for, to replace thin foam, or as a foundation layer between springs and latex foam to protect the foam.
QUESTIONS? If you have any questions about any of the above products, feel free to use this email link to contact Deborah, and she will know it is upholstery related and coming from this site.
See ‘Choosing Latex Firmness for Upholstery’.
This is the basic list. I’d love to hear your recommendations, your experience with a vendor or just your thoughts – please post them in the comments below, or drop me an email. Thanks for visiting!
Also see a list of Natural & Organic Fabrics for Upholstery.
If you don’t find what you’re looking for at the links above, you can check out other vendors here.
Sign up for the mailing list to receive updates about natural upholstery materials and resources.