IMPORTANT NOTICE: Live workshops at my studio have been suspended due to COVID-19. Stay well, and I look forward to sharing with you through online channels in the meantime :)
3-Day Chair Upholstery Workshop
IMPORTANT: Please read the related 2-day class description on this linked page. This listing is for a 3-day intermediate level class, which is modeled after the 2-day workshop. The basic premise of the class is the same, with more advanced techniques permitted in your chosen project.
Before registering, please be sure to communicate directly with Carla to be sure your project is approved.
What the Workshop Includes:
• Three full days (24 hrs) of FUN & hard work (bring plenty of elbow grease!)
Yes, it’s intensive, but don’t worry – we’ll have good music and plenty of breaks
• Intro Videos + Handouts:
As soon as your registration is complete, you’ll receive a link to view & download a series of videos & handouts
- Class overview – what to expect when you bring your chair for the workshop.
- Worksheets + Guides to help you get started.
- How to measure and calculate how much fabric to buy for your project.
• (optional) Zoom video meet-up for Q&A:
Two weeks prior to to the weekend workshop, you’ll have a chance to meet your fellow students via zoom video, share your project and get your questions answered.
• We provide:
- use of all tools and sewing machines, thread, spring twine, tufting twine, staples, adhesive, covered button molds and hot glue
- professional tips & tricks of the trade
- helpful charts & handouts that you can take home and use on your next project
- a memorable experience and and skills that last a lifetime!
• You provide:
- your pre-approved chair
- upholstery fabric, foam and embellishments such as decorative nails & trim – amount to purchase is determined prior to class.
- A fee will be applied to these extra materials if used in class: natural latex foam, dacron batting, cotton batting, wool batting, ticking fabric (for the wool batting), jute webbing, burlap, welt cord, zippers, springs and muslin fabric.
- the moxie to dive in and get your hands dirty!
Nothing beats the satisfaction and fun of restoring a chair in your own unique style and making new friends in the process!
Immediately upon registration, you’ll receive access to Intro videos to help you get started on your project. Please note that these are geared toward the beginner level. Since you are more advanced, some of the information will be familiar, but will hopefully offer new ways to approach the process. Please feel free to ask any questions that come up as you watch the videos.
Prep Class (self-guided videos + optional zoom meet-up for Q&A):
It’s great fun getting together prior to the Workshop Session, so I offer an optional zoom video meet-up 2 weeks before the workshop. It’s a fun chance to meet, share ideas & challenges, and get your questions answered. Meet-ups last 30-60 min, depending on the projects and questions you bring.
HOMEWORK (recommended to do before the workshop):
- Purchase fabric & new foam (if needed)
- Deconstruction – for best use of workshop time, you’ll want to get a jump on the tear-down.
- Complete any repairs and refinishing/repainting of your frame that may be necessary prior to the workshop.
Three consecutive days (8 hrs/day) – You’ll arrive with your chair, fabric and ALL of the old materials that you removed in deconstruction. You’ll be guided through the steps of fitting & attaching your padding & fabric to your chair frame, including any stitching required such as welt or minor piecing of sections, as necessary.
Participants work independently on their projects, with support & hands on instruction personalized to each project. Mingling and cross-pollinating is encouraged! Half the fun is learning from each other’s challenges and sharing new ideas… common side effects are surprise & delight at unanticipated outcomes.
Please read the Class Policies before registering for the class. Your registration signifies your agreement with all Class Policies. All chairs must be pre-approved before the class: Contact Carla to receive an email address to submit photos of your chair.
By registering for this workshop, you acknowledge the possibility that you may not complete your project within the allotted three days. This will be dependent on your project. The intention is for you to gain experience in the techniques and to feel confident that you can finish on your own at home. Thanks for reading!